Since I put together my inaugural Top 10 list last year, I may as well make it a tradition. Luckily I had the foresight to keep a running list in Evernote throughout the year, so the tough part was putting them in order. Some may argue about the order of the albums on the list or the exclusion of others. I'd love to hear your opinions.
So without any further jibba jabba, here's my Top 10 Albums of 2010 list:
- Local Natives - Gorilla Manor The harmonies are amazing. I saw these guys twice this year and loved both shows.
- Flaming Lips - Dark Side of the Moon I was lucky enough to see the Lips perform this on NYE 2009 in OKC. A great cover of a great album.
- The Black Keys - Brothers I listened to this album over and over this past summer. Nice gritty bluesy rock.
- Yeasayer - Odd Blood Another band I saw live this year. Upbeat indie rock to enliven any task or workout.
- Surfer Blood - Astro Coast Surf rock sound thanks to lots of Telecaster but new and different at the same time. Plus a song about David Lynch.
- Born Ruffians - Say It I saw these guys play at the newly reopened Fitzgerald's in my 'hood. Great live show. Catchy album.
- Spoon - Transference Few bands consistently release great albums while gradually morphing their sound. Spoon does. Another constant listen this past year.
- Wavves - King of the Beach The summer of 2010 was a brief indie surf rock renaissance. Or maybe I'm discounting a trend with a longer shelf life. But I'm no critic. Good album for the beach. Or kings of them.
- Suckers - Wild Smile These guys toured with Local Natives and the first time I heard them was when they opened that show. Bad ass tunes kinda like Local Natives but not. Apples and oranges, but still fresh & delicious organic fruit (I may have yuppied that fruit part up a bit, but oh well).
- Giant Princess - Zip Zop Wow Awesome new band from the H Tizzle. Raucous indie rock. Saw them do an in store at my beloved Cactus Music and dug it.